Friday, August 2, 2013

Modified Paleo and Cookies. Yes to cookies!

We are going to ignore the length of time beneath blog posts. Okay? Glad we agree.

I have been inundated with Paleo information and opinions in the past few months. An attending (medicine word for boss) tried to convince me Paleo meant only raw foods, friends who picked up the whole30/whole9, the momma trying to cut back on processed foods, and most recently, a Grand Rounds (doctor speak for very serious, data-driven, presentation) on Crossfit and the Paleo diet.

I've been asked my opinion on Paleo by friends, family, patients, and even colleagues. When I tell them I eat 80% Paleo, I get a lot of confused looks. 


My modified Paleo diet means:

- I substitute or remove grains and cheeses whenever I can
- Lots of fruits and veggies
- Lean means and fish (cooked, let's be real)
- Limited non-natural carbs (fruit has carbs, veggies do too, Paleo is NOT a low carb diet) 
- I don't completely cut out dairy. Vitamin D and calcium are super important to bone health. Sure, you can get them through Paleo friendly foods like almond milk, but I love greek yogurt. It is an awesome substitution in baking and cooking and I couldn't give it up.

Most importantly:
- Everything in moderation, for me that means one full day off a week or maybe one meal off a few times a week, or maybe a vacation when I don't eat Paleo at all! 

And in truth, I feel SO much better when I'm eating this way. I'm energized, I get fewer side-stitches when I run, I sleep better and have fewer headaches!

But, I also love to bake. And the immediate question I'm asked is how do you eat Paleo and make delicious baked goods!? Shouldn't you practice what you preach? A cookie or cupcake without flour?! Gross!!!

I respond by saying, I eat what I want when I want. I know that eating mostly Paleo makes my body happy. But sometimes, a delicious, cream cheese frosted cupcake, makes me happy! In fact, just typing that makes me want one. BUT I will also prove that Paleo baking is delicious by bringing them THESE AMAZING COOKIES! 


Fresh out of the oven


I couldn't wait to try one until I was done taking pictures...

Whoops, a bigger bite



Pale-OH-MY-GOODNESS-these-are-awesome chocolate chip cookies

adapted from PaleOMG, a blog you should really check out if you want to go gung-ho paleo


What you need:

  • 1 cup Almond butter 
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (mine was double strength)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking power
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon (a pinch) of salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate or cocoa nibs you want to be serious about the paleo business)
My new mixer! It cranks up and down. Awesome!

I ate some dough, of course...yum!

Rolling and dropping the dough

Final delicious product

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients except the chocolate chips together. It's easiest in a mixer, but your biceps work well too! If you don't have almond butter on hand, these can be made with peanut butter, but then I would use raw honey instead of maple syrup, just based on my favorite flavor combinations. Fold in the chocolate chips. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Parchment paper was created by the Baking Gods to make your life (and clean up) easier.  Drop your cookies on the sheet, leaving lots of space between them so they don't spread together. The dough will be VERY sticky. Don't be alarmed. Bake 18-20 minutes. Watch the cookies carefully, over baking will alter the texture. Let cool and enjoy!


What you get:

A yummy, soft, Paleo chocolate chip cookie! You won't even miss the flour! Along with being delicious, these cookies provide more protein than your average baked good, thanks to the nut butter. Cinnamon can decrease inflammation and chocolate has a multitude of health benefits! It can lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and fight UV damage with antioxidants. It may even have anti-clotting properties to help keep your blood flowing! And a cookie is bad day cure all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment