Saturday, August 31, 2013

Drink your vegetables!

I had an AMAZING time at home in Michigan. Look at these views from canoeing the Huron River.





However, back to Chicago and in dire need of a wellness tune up. I barely slept at home; I prioritized catching up with family and friends and don’t regret one minute of it. I also indulged with some incredible meals. 

Started the day with a foggy and humid run… Seriously, Chicago? 100 degrees and I feel like I’m swimming when I step out the door.

The streets are pretty quiet at 5:30am

I'm still obsessed with my neon Newton's
And a delicious kale smoothie! 




“Green” smoothies are super popular. If you can drink your veggies and squeeze in an extra serving, why the heck not?! But they are completely off-putting to me for just that reason, most are literally green.  This one isn’t. It's a pretty pinky-purple and it kept me full and energized until lunch!

DISCLAIMER: I blend coffee into my smoothies, not milk, I know I have an addiction.
Here is the recipe without the coffee, you can really use any liquid you want. Or only dirty one cup in the morning and throw your coffee in the blender too!

"Green" Smoothie

What you need:
  • Kale, deveined and torn into pieces (Or if you want a less obvious leafy taste, use spinach! It will be more green in color, but less "green" in taste)
  • 1 banana (frozen for a creamier texture)
  • 1/3 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup Frozen peach slices
  • Liquid (like I said, I usually use coffee, but almond milk is great too)
  • Vanilla protein powder (HEADS UP whey protein is not technically paleo)
Put it all in the blender and let it do it's job! Don't be a stickler for measuring anything. You can add more or less liquid to get the consistency you like. Also play with the fresh vs frozen fruits until you get a texture that is right for you! 


All in!
Pinky purple in color, NOT green!



1 comment:

  1. I have the exact same Newton Running shoes, and I LOVE them too!

    ReplyDelete