Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fiesta!

It was a SUPER busy week, so just a quick note and a must-share recipe.

Remember when I told you Cauliflower would change your life. I wasn’t kidding.
mmm delicious

In college, my housemates and I went through a phase where we ate burritos every night. A variety of kinds – homemade, taco bell (I cringed when I typed that), BIG TEN BURRITO (just thinking about their salsa makes me nostalgic), we loved our Mexican food. My boyfriend at the time and I even hosted taco nights. Everyone brought their favorite topping and we supplied the shells and the meat. It was a great time! But, alas, most Mexican dishes are not quite paleo-friendly. The cheese, the flour, the deliciousness.

I wanted to share a picture of my incredible best friends and college housemates with you all. But, it was exceptionally challenging to find one of us where we aren’t in some sort of costume…oh, college.  But here is graduation. Over five years ago. Man, time flies.
University of Michigan Class of 2008. Holla!

Anyway! This cauliflower tortilla recipe is so good that, if you have a food processor and an oven, I promise you, you won’t even miss the flour! Or the corn if that’s your preference (mine too).  


One head of cauliflower made 8 tortillas for me. I used them as intended and made yummy lime-tequila fajitas. Then they became flat bread for sandwiches and crust for mini pizzas throughout the week! I just kept them in the fridge. Might not be a bad idea to always have some on hand!


Cauliflower Tortillas

What you need:
  • Cauliflower 
  • 2 eggs, or equivalent of egg substitute 
  • Salt, pepper
  • Seasoning, a little bit of garlic keeps them versatile but red pepper flakes were delicious to give them a kick for the fajitas! Be creative!
Preheat that oven! 375 degrees. Nailed it! 

Remember how to rice Cauliflower? Chop it up (florets only) and pulse it in your food processor until it looks like small grains of rice. I'd say the smaller the better.

Then put it in a microwave safe bowl and cook the "rice" for 3-6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. There is no magic to knowing when it's done, it should be sort of translucent. IT IS GOING TO BE HOT. BE CAREFUL! Try to remove the excess water from your "rice". I squeezed mine in paper towel, but if you are fancy, cheesecloth would probably work best. Add your eggs and your spices, if desired. Mix well. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (I also used a little nonstick spray). Shape the mixture into even circles about 1/2 inch thick throughout. Mine were about 6 inches in diameter and that worked well. The mixture may be a little runny, but it should definitely hold it's shape without spreading. 

Bake 10 minutes. Take them out, flip them over, and bake for 10 more minutes. Allow the tortillas to cool on a wire rack while you heat just a little bit of oil in a frying pan. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP! It brings out the flavor and strengthens the tortilla. Place them one at a time face down in the pan and press down the edges gently, wait until they are browned to your liking. Flip, repeat and eat!    



What you get:
A new obsession with cauliflower, if I didn't hook you already using it as a pizza dough substitute! If you like this recipe, check that one out too! 

1 comment: