Saturday, August 10, 2013

In-GYM-idation

“Cardio is kind of like cilantro: you either love it or hate it.”

 - Women’s Health (the September issue, go read it!)

1. I have not granted a second date to a man on the basis of him not liking cilantro (well, maybe that was just my excuse but...) 

2. If you love neither cilantro nor cardio…Perhaps you came upon this blog by mistake? They are two of my favorite things! That would be blasphemy!

In fact, I feel so comfortable with cardio that I can kill a zumba class, run a 10k or sprint in spin without any complaints.  I’m even fan of the mixed cardio-weights classes.  Usually, these classes are 98% women and welcome all levels of fitness. But the boot camp and serious weight lifting group exercise classes intimidate me. Men in their triathlon t-shirts, lifting weights heavier than my body? Women doing box jumps four feet off the ground? Holy cow! How could I ever keep up?

Well, this past Friday, I overcame my in-gym-idation and headed to Weekend Warrior. And yes, it was just as awful as the name implies. I have never ran so many sets of stairs in my life, and certainly have never lifted such a heavy barbell. But, dripping sweat and gasping for air, I completed the class! I felt AWESOME, because I overcame my fear and my fellow gym-goers were super supportive.  

Point beinggo take that class! Few things bond people together like overcoming shared challenges. And any teacher worth their salt will include everyone, making modifications for beginners and challenges for those who are more advanced.  Not only are you building your muscles, you’re building your confidence. You can do it!

And to reward myself for kicking butt and taking names, I made this incredible, cilantro filled salad for dinner. Seriously, one of the best things I have ever made! Nom nom.  

Mmm cilantro
Awesome summer colors!
Lime Cilantro Shrimp Salad
adapted from about a bajillion different ceviche recipes 

What you need:

  • 1 lb shrimp (mine were pre-cooked, frozen and defrosted)
  • 1 container cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 to a whole jalapeno, chopped with seeds removed (depending on your heat tolerance)
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 T cilantro, chopped, with extra for garnish
  • Pepper
  • Sea salt
Combine the olive oil, lime juice and onion together in a large bowl. Let this sit 5-10 minutes (while you chop everything else) to cut the bite of the onion. Prep all your other ingredients. Here it is...super easy...put them in the bowl. Mix, mix, mix. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with extra cilantro. Impress your guests...or yourself. I felt pretty darn special eating this!

Make sure the tails are removed, we don't want that kinda crunch
I love me some jalapeno and lime
Mix, mix, mix

What you get:

Avocados are a super food and recently, have been getting a lot of press for their health benefits. They contain "good fats" or monounsaturated fat, which can help to lower your bad cholesterol. Avocado also has fiber to help keep you full and omega-3s! They are basically a multivitamin as well with vitamin C, potassium, two different B vitamins and folate. There is actually more potassium in an avocado than a banana! Maybe they should start handing them out after races... Mmm post-race guac...

And a quick note on shrimp - delicious, full of the antioxidant selenium, low calorie, with choline for brain health! However, watch your shrimp intake if you have high cholesterol, everything in moderation, but shrimp do have a pretty high cholesterol content. 

Eat up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment