Saturday, October 13, 2012

I've always been a morning person


Not sure quite how many 20 somethings can say that. But I say it and I mean it.


I love the morning.


When you are waking up to this face:
Our family dog, Ruger, as a puppy

Or this face:
My boyfriend, who also happens to be an incredible baker.

Nothing is better than a lazy morning. 


In college, thriving on my new found freedom and health kick, I would be at the gym at 5:30am. I'd walk there in the dark, and stroll back as the sun came up. Of course, back then, I had no responsibilities and going to the gym may or may not have been the only time I left the house.

(I may have gone to the University of Michigan, but that doesn't mean I always went to class. Hey! I graduated medical school, I did okay!)
I've also seen one that says, "Exercise in the morning, before your brain wakes up with reasons to stop you."

In medical school, I lived for early Sunday mornings at a local Starbucks, when it was still quiet and calm. I'd lay out all my text books and settle in for a day of studying and caffeinating.

Now, with a real job, and ridiculous work hours, I'm lucky if I can peel my eyes open with enough time to shower and drive the 3 miles to the hospital.

I figured I should start with one of my favorite recipes. Just because mornings are now rushed, hectic and starting way too early, doesn't mean you can't eat well. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day after all!

Truthfully - Breakfast starts your metabolism and sets the food tone for your entire day. These breakfast bars are SUPER easy, as much as I like to cook, none of us have time to spend all day in the kitchen. They are delicious warm, right out of the oven. AND they are also wonderful straight from the freezer, 45 seconds in the microwave as you put on your shoes, or defrosting in your bag during your commute to work!

Grab it fast, soft granola bars

Original recipe adapted from Kath Eats Real Food

Hey, maybe if this blogging thing takes off, I will get a real camera. Until then, thank you smart phone!

Total Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Start to Finish: 45 minutes plus cooling

What you need:

  • 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (you can use all walnuts or all pecans but I like lots of texture)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup coconut
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1.25 cups skim milk
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute (or one real egg if you have them)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray it with some Bake Ease. Mix all of your wet ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in all of your dry. Combine thoroughly. Bake in a 9x9 dish for 40 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

Makes 9 bars. Approximately 150 calories each (changes if you change up the recipe, which you should definitely get creative and try, I love throwing some chocolate chips in there). 

What you get:

An easy breakfast with no added sugar! Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties (I add it to everything I can). Oatmeal may help to reduce your cholesterol. And walnuts were recently proven to help boost memory! Wooh! So many reasons to eat breakfast...now if I just could get to the gym before work...

1 comment:

  1. This is going on my list of things to make next week :)

    ReplyDelete