Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Blog? Really?


Hi There! 


How do you start writing a blog? I've always been pretty outgoing, but never very good at introductions...Well, here we go...

I'm Colleen. I'm a twenty-something, Michigan-made, foodie, doctor (holy cow, yes that is for real), baker and yoga teacher, who is now living in Chicago. I'm trying to eat my way through a new city, while balancing my crazy busy life with my desire to stay fit and healthy!


Me enjoying what is possibly my favorite food, second only to gingerbread: Coffee 


What you can expect from me: A mash-up of delicious healthy recipes to share, often with hidden vegetables, exercise motivation, sarcasm, and of course, single-serving desserts, because sometimes a girl just needs dessert. And by sometimes, I mean, often...okay, practically every night.

Now for a bit more juicy material...



My family likes to eat. We're half German, half Irish, and all the homemade, hearty, heavy meals that go with it. We pass down a trait I have come to love, or rather accept and will learn to love, the Schafer bottom. All the women in family have been blessed with this pear shape, it's a running family joke, and the scapegoat for why I can't (YET) hold a plank for more than a minute. We also have passed down a love of baking, eating, and sharing. My Grandmother, queen of the kitchen, has taught me many things about proper preparation of food. Some of which, I throw out the window...eggs? room temperature before baking? who has TIME for that! My career, I'm a brand new doctor at one of Chicago's top hospitals, has taught me how to eat and exercise to protect my health. Do as I say, not as I do, is not a motto I ascribe to with my patients. My yoga practice, which was recently deepened as a graduate of the teacher training program at an amazing independent studio back in Michigan, House of Yoga, has taught me to be mindful and balanced, and to thoroughly enjoy life in its simplicity. Blogging has taught me to actually use correct punctuation online... Oh wait. Whoops.


Some of the Schafer women with the Schafer bottom (hips don't lie), running a 5K! The entire family is in on the healthy lifestyle changes!


Here I am with my little cousin, baking of course, with the Queen of Kitchen, who truthfully, taught us everything we know about food, cleaning up after us. 


Now I'm putting it all together, here for you! And if I get my Dad to secretly eat more vegetables and less potato chips, I will consider this entire blog a little victory!

My Daddy

Stay tuned for some of my favorite recipes, places, exercises, and stories!





Disclaimer: I may be A doctor, but I am (probably) not YOUR doctor. I will not be giving medical advice over my blog, just sharing my stories along with healthy tips and tricks. If you have any questions about your personal health, please make an appointment to see your primary care physician. 

1 comment: