Sunday, October 14, 2012

De-stressing and De-hydrating

I promised you FAST recipes. 

But, some things just take time. 

And are more than worth the wait. 

Last fall was full of questions and answers. 

I was interviewing for residency positions, sometimes with 8 interviews in one day! I was still trying to  figure out what field of medicine, if any at all, was right for me. I was learning from and reflecting on the end of many relationships. And I was participating in a yoga teacher training program! 

Teacher training was a deeply emotional, physically and mentally challenging experience. I was blessed to meet some of the most incredible and inspiring women, and Dave. :-) We began the 6 month, every weekend, all day, course, with an exercise where you sit with a partner and they ask, "Tell me who you are." Knees physically connecting you to this person and eyes looking right into you, we all began spewing our life stories. What brought us here, what we wanted and ultimately who we THOUGHT we were.

At the end of this journey, the exercise, which we practiced each time we met, became one of silence. We were so fulfilled and at peace in ourselves, that we could let our spiritual connection speak for itself. I'm not a highly emotional person (except at weddings, I'm pretty much a fountain at weddings), but these experiences with this special group of women, often moved me to tears.

House of Yoga Teacher Training Class Fall 2011

And by Spring, I was matched in the perfect residency program in Chicago. I had found a field of medicine that fit my personality and my health care beliefs. I had left behind some relationships that no longer served me and rekindled some that filled me with love and warmth. AND I was a certified yoga instructor. After three seasons of self discovery, I can very easily and confidently tell you who I am. 

Some things you can't search for, or force to happen. They come with patience, and trust that in each moment, you are exactly where you need to be.

Man, listen to me. I SOUND like a yogi. 

The past few months have been so busy, and although I know that I am where I need to be in this new city, I have yet to find a new yoga home. Tonight, I returned to my mat, to my practice and to myself. It had been 4 months since I had a regular, daily yoga practice.

I spent a grueling blissful hour and half this Sunday evening in a Vinyasa class at my gym.

My mind wandered, my body shook, I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow in places I had forgotten muscles existed. But it was incredible, and it time, with practice, my body will once again be able to gracefully move through a 90 minute class.
This isn't my picture...but I can't seem to remember where I found it


Speaking of things that take time, but are well worth the wait...

These Apple and Zucchini chips rock! I make a huge batch of both on Sundays. They are an awesome, healthy, crunchy snack during the week...if they last that long!

Remember that old infomercial, "Set it and Forget it!" That is how I describe these.

I wouldn't lie to you, the hands on time is very very short, especially if you have a mandolin. BUT the two hours until they are done and ready to eat is excruciatingly long. 

Apple and Zucchini Chips: no dehydrator required!

Salty, crunchy and delicious. But, I love zucchini to begin with!

Fall is the perfect time for apple chips!

Hands On Time: 5-10 minutes, depending on how large your batch is

Total Time: 2-2.5 hours WORTH THE WAIT

What you need:

Apple Chips
  • Gala Apples (I used 2 which takes up about 2 cookie sheets and that's all I can fit in my oven)
  • Cinnamon 
  • 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
Zucchini Chips
  • 1 large zucchini (again it took up 2 cookie sheets for me)
  • Kosher salt -- use sparingly, you can always add more
  • Garlic Powder
Preheat your oven to 225 degrees. Using a mandolin set at 1/16, or a very VERY steady hand, slice your produce into thin rounds. Put them in a bowl and toss in your seasonings. Arrange in one layer, not touching, on the cookie sheets. Bake for 1 hour. Flip 'em over, and bake at least another hour. You make want to sneak a few during the baking process...just to see if they're the right texture, of course!

What you get: 

An easy, tasty snack, that you can literally set and forget and then eat all week. They stay crunchiest if you don't put them in an airtight container. I just leave the lids of my tupperware loose...makes it way easier to pop one in my mouth as I walk by too! Apples are FULL of nutrients. An apple a day keeps the doctor away right?! Zucchini is a great source of folate  (a B Vitamin essential for a healthy brain and functioning red blood cells), potassium and manganese (which helps fight free radicals that can damage DNA). 


No comments:

Post a Comment