Sunday, January 20, 2013

Set it and Forget it Oatmeal

Do you remember this infomercial?



SET IT AND FORGET IT! The showtime rotisserie oven! Still one of my favorites, and now a pop culture icon. 

If only all meals were as easy as set it and forget it...especially breakfast. A lot of my colleagues think a cup of coffee on the way to work with a little bit of milk for "protein" counts as breakfast. Me? If I don't eat something with fiber and REAL protein, I'm STARVING by 9 am and snacking by 10 am.

I'm a HUGE oatmeal fan and usually wake up early enough to cook some plain oatmeal on the stove, throw a tablespoon of almond butter on it and enjoy it with a cup of coffee BEFORE I go to work. 

How I feel at work when I eat my oatmeal!



Recently, though, getting to work before the sun rises and leaving after it sets, I'm tired. But I still want my oatmeal! CUE Set it and Forget it Overnight Oatmeal! 


Overnight Oatmeal, photo from theyummylife.com I'm not this fancy, let's be real...

You throw it together the night before, or a large batch Sunday night. Take it out of the fridge in the before and take it to work to enjoy at your desk! BOOM. So easy. No more excuses for the most important meal of the day. The topping possibilities are ENDLESS! Right now, since it's so cold, I'm loving a tropical combo! (And I have half a can of leftover crushed pineapple from a carrot cake cookie recipe that will find it's way on the blog soon!)
 

Quaker Oats, my breakfast container, and a sneak peak in my pantry.

The night before with my tropical toppings...

The next morning!

Set it and Forget it Oatmeal

Hands on time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes + overnight 

What you need:

The base:
  • 1/3 cup quick oats (I like Quaker or McCann's)
  • 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or whatever milk you have!)
Tropical Mix ins:
  • 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
  • 1 tbs shredded coconut
  • Half a banana chopped
Other tried and true mix in options
Almond Berry: 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries, 1 tbs slivered almonds, 1 tbs Smucker's Simply Fruit Strawberry Jam (or any low sugar jam)
Pumpkin Pie:  1/4 cup canned pumpkin, dash of pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tbs walnuts
"Cookie dough": 1 tbs mini chocolate chips, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 tsp vanilla, sweetener as desired
WHATEVER YOU WANT! Be creative!

Now pick your container! I use something with a lid to grab and go in the mornings. Mix it all together. Put it in the fridge. The oatmeal "cooks" overnight. Done and done. 


What you get: 
A SUPER easy and healthy breakfast. Greek yogurt has calcium and protein to get your metabolism going and keep your bones strong. Oatmeal is the king of breakfast foods! It is hearty and keeps you full for hours thanks to all the fiber it provides. Fiber helps lower your bad (LDL) cholesterol and protects your heart. It also slows down digestion and prevents your blood sugar from spiking, so you have long lasting energy and no sugar crash. Oatmeal also has magnesium, vitamin E and, yes, even more protein! Amazing! No excuses, eat breakfast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment