Thursday, January 31, 2013

(Healthy) Superbowl Snacks!

It's just about time for arguably, the biggest sporting event of the year. I can admit that I have zero idea which teams are in the Superbowl this year. Last year my "Superbowl Party" consisted of watching a TV marathon with my Dad and ignoring all things football. Honesty -- if it isn't U of M football, it isn't football to me.

I'm sure some people are excited for the game, but everyone is excited for the food. 

Why don't you try these super delicious and healthy twists on Superbowl snacks at your party this weekend!


Or just eat them on a normal Wednesday (or your meatless Monday!), which is what I did... 

Buffalo Nuggets with a side of celery and ranch dressing for dipping!

First off --- I made Buffalo Nuggets! 
With Tofu! Baked, hot, and super easy (sounds like a bad date in college, ooh or a bad joke, sorry, it's been a long day). 





Or if you're bringing the dessert...Black bean brownies! Or as I called them "Triple Bs"

When I was younger, I would never EVER eat beans. Not in mexican, not in my grandma's famous goulash, no beans. But as my dad would say, "My tastes have changed." And since I heard about black bean brownies, I've been intrigued and a little scared. How could you DO THAT to chocolate?! But they were DELICIOUS! 



Buffalo Nuggets

Hands on time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

What you need:
  • firm or extra firm tofu, with the water removed by wrapping it in paper towel for an hour or so
  • 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute (almond or soy milk works too if you're serving vegans!)
  • 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tbs  garlic powder
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • Ranch dressing and celery for serving
Heat your oven to 400 and cut your tofu into whatever sized nuggets you prefer. Mix together the egg and hot sauce. Drop your tofu pieces in the egg mixtures and let them marinate for a few minutes while you combine the bread crumbs, garlic and pepper in a shallow dish. Coat the egg covered tofu pieces on all sides with the bread crumb mixture. Place on a greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Flip over and bake 15 minutes more until crispy. SO EASY! They have a great crunch and a spicy kick!


Triple Bs

Hands on time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

The main ingredients
I love my new food processor



Before baking


After baking...and taste testing!

What you need:
  • 1 can black beans, reduced sodium prefered, drained and rinsed 
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 2 1/2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 tbs instant coffee or espresso powder (can be omitted, but I love this flavor)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
  • 2 tbs sugar, or 1 tbs truvia baking blend (my new favorite ingredient)
  • 2 tbs vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips, divided into 1/2 and 1/4
Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by greasing it or laying in some parchment paper. Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in your food processor. Now that I have one of my own, I don't mess around with a blender, but I bet that would work too. Make sure the batter is smooth. Go ahead and lick the scraper...pretty yummy, right?! Fold in 1/2 c of chocolate chips. Spoon into your baking dish and top with the last 1/4 c of chocolate chips. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. 

What you get:

I rave about oatmeal, chocolate and cinnamon all the time. So let's chat about beans! "Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you..." feel full from the protein and fiber they provide! They also have antioxidants and vitamin B6. Remember B6? Essential to the functioning of your nervous system! Black beans also have Molybdenum, a trace metal, which helps break down sulfites in food like wine. Molybdenum is also found in the enamel of our teeth and may help slow tooth decay. So pour a glass of heart healthy red wine and enjoy a nutritious black bean brownie!


No comments:

Post a Comment