Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Cliff Bar" Cookies and learning to run again

I've had a lot of trouble motivating myself to work out independently the past few weeks. This has meant LOTS of group fitness classes and practically ZERO running since the new year started. 

Today, on my day off, I strapped on my super-sweet-neon Newtons and ran it out. The endorphins from running can get you so revved up that you do too much too soon, which is when injuries happen! However, starting slow is not really my forte. I prefer jump in and give it all you've got. But, I've got no time for injuries, and with age comes wisdom right? My joints can't handle all that pounding. 

In the Fall, I could run an easy 6-7 miles, pre-residency and pre-dark-all-the-time Chicago winters. Based on that, my goal is a 10k in the next few weeks. And here is the plan I am following... Let's do it together!
from lifeshinysideup.com

Also, on my day off, I FINALLY made it to the grocery store. But instead of walking out with my favorite, McCann's Quick Cooking Irish Oats, I accidentally bought steel cut. A pretty horrific mistake! I eat oatmeal every day, but steel cut?! Yikes! It takes too long to cook and is too creamy for me. 

So instead, I made these delicious cookies!





A twist on no-bakes to use up the steel cut oats that would otherwise just sit on the shelf. They are full of fiber, protein and of course, chocolate! Also, the whole recipe took one saucepan and about 10 minutes! 


"Cliff Bar" No Bakes


Hands on time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes


What you need:
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Truvia baking blend (if using normal sugar use 1/2 cup)




Mix all the ingredients except the vanilla and the oats in a medium saucepan over low/medium heat. Stir to combine and beat with a fork until smooth. Allow the mixture to come close to a boil, but not quite. Then add in your vanilla and the oats. Mix well. Remove from heat and allow the dough to cool just enough that you can roll it into small walnut sized balls. Put the balls on wax or parchment paper and press them down into coin sized cookies. Allow to  cool completely.

What you get:
A delicious, filling cookie for 40 ish calories! (Mine were made with almond milk and truvia, so the calories are based on that.) I was able to make approximately 50 cookies from this recipe! Holy cow! They have TONS of fiber from the oatmeal, protein from the peanut butter and milk, vitamins from the banana and antioxidants from the cocoa powder. They are a great pre-workout energizer, after school/work snack or dessert! A great cliff bar/cookie combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment